The founding of the “Royal School of the Arts” in 1937, initiated the formation of a basic collection of donations in order to help the students, containing books and writings. In 1874 the first registration for every library book takes place by professor A. Christomanos.
In 1914 according to Law 388, the institute was renamed as National Technical University of Athens and became equivalent to the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens. The 49 articles of the Royal Decree of 1915 clearly define the role of the University. Articles 24, 25, 26, 32 refer to the role of the University Library.In 1924 the Library’s first systematic catalog, was published and included around 7,000 volumes.
In the 1940s and 1950s, the Library of the University numbered around 40,000 volumes, with the Rector at the time Mr N. Kitsikis recruiting extra staff to catalog the material.
Ιn 2000, the library was moved to a new location, a 7-storey building in the center of the Zografou campus , becoming the Central Library of the National Technical University of Athens. It is considered to be one of the most prestigious Academic Libraries in Greece.
Based on Laws 1268/1982 and 1404/1983, at each Higher Education Institution (HEI), a single Central Library is established for research and teaching purposes and functions as an independent and decentralized service.
Today, a total of 240,000 book volumes and 100,000 volumes of journals are made available through the Library to the University.
The Central Library of the University serves the teaching staff, the students of the NTUA as well as many scientists and students from other Universities.